Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After a fire damage loss in your home or business, it is important to stay safe. Listed below are a few DO's and DONT's to take into consideration after suffering from fire damage. If a fire loss damages your property, give our SERVPRO team a call. Our crew offers a quick 24-hour emergency response 7 days a week, 365 days a year, including all holidays. We know that disasters never strike at a convenient time and we are dedicated to always being available to help.
If fire damage occurs on your property, give SERVPRO of La Grange Park/North Riverside a call!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (708) 240-4873
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.