Controlling Mold Growth Indoors During Spring Cleaning
With the spring season’s warming weather we often open up our windows and take on the task of spring cleaning. The key to mold control is moisture control, people might not think to check for excess moisture that could lead to mold growth and take steps to prevent mold from becoming a problem in the home.
There are molds that can grow on wood, carpet and insulation. Mold growth will often occur when excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials. Molds are everywhere in the environment and can grow on virtually any organic substance where moisture and oxygen are present. If the moisture problem remains undiscovered it can affect your home’s indoor air quality and the health of people sensitive to mold. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposure include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
The EPA has listed several steps to control the mold in your home.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Identify and fix plumbing leaks and other water problems immediately.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source.
- When water leaks or spills occur indoors. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24 to 48 hours after a leak or spill, in many cases, mold will not grow.
- Scrub any visible mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water and dry the area completely.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent ideally between 30 and 50 percent — relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter, a small, inexpensive instrument available at many hardware stores.
Mold is a serious concern not just in the spring, but all seasons of the year. If you believe that you have mold in your home, give SERVPRO of LaGrange Park/North Riverside today at 708-240-4873.