How To Prevent Mold Growth
Where ever there is moisture, there will be mold growth. Thanks to these tips from the CDC, we can keep mold from growing out of control in our homes.
1) Keep humidity levels as low as you can—no higher than 50%–all day long. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. Bear in mind that humidity levels change over the course of a day with changes in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so you will need to check the humidity levels more than once a day
2) Be sure that your home has enough ventilation. Use exhaust fans that vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure that your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
3) Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
4) Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 24–48 hours) after flooding.
5) Add mold inhibitors to paints before painting
6) Clean bathrooms with mold-killing products
7) Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried promptly. Consider not using carpet in rooms or areas like bathrooms or basements that may have a lot of moisture.
If you suspect you have mold growing on your home, SERVPRO of LaGrange Park/North Riverside is here to help. Give us a call at 708-240-4873 and set an appointment for us to come and look at your home or business to assess the suspected mold damage.