Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Biohazards are chemicals, wastes and substances that pose threats to human health; substances like human blood and fluids (or related substances), animal waste, microbiological wastes, pathological wastes and medical sharps. These substances are highly controlled and require proper disposal. However, everything doesn't always go the way we hope.
Our team exists for this reason, when businesses are impacted by biohazard messes, which, by definition means immediate danger that requires proper clean-up and disposal.
Our SERVPRO team is committed to respond to your biohazard spill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Below our SERVPRO team has put together tips of first steps if you’ve encountered a biohazard spill.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (708) 240-4873
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of La Grange Park / North Riverside has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- La Grange
- Forest Park
- La Grange Park
- North Riverside