What To Do Before a Winter Storm Hits
Winter storms can hit at any moment in the winter time here in Chicagoland. We all know the first thing we do is run to the local grocery store and stock up on the basics, but what else can you do to be prepared for a winter storm?
The American Red Cross gives some tips for you to consider before a winter storm hits.
* Listen to local area radio, NOAA radio or TV stations for the latest information and updates.
* Be prepared to evacuate if you lose power or heat and know your routes and destinations. Find a local emergency shelter.
* Check emergency kit and replenish any items missing or in short supply, especially medications and medical supplies. Keep it nearby.
* Be sure you have ample heating fuel.
* If you have alternative heating sources, such as fireplaces, wood- or coal-burning stoves, or space heaters, be sure they are clean and in working order.
* Check that your fire extinguisher(s) is in good working order, and replace it if necessary.
* Bring your companion animals inside and ensure that your horses and livestock have blankets if appropriate and unimpeded access to shelter, food, and non-frozen water.
SERVPRO of LaGrange Park/North Riverside is always here to help. If you have damage to your home due to a winter storm, we are here to help. Call us at 708-240-4873.